Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Keep it Light! Italy



It’s a warm, sunny day in Milan. The first this spring. Heavy coats are out. Smiles are in. The streets are stomping. The crowd is bubbly. Kids and grannies, punks and tourists, all line up for their favorite treat. Gelato days are here, my friend! With all these colorful cones parading around town, it’s impossible not to catch the happy bug.



As I sit here watching with my own pink gelato in hand, I get this curious sensation, like I’m in a music video for Louis Armstrong’s “Wonderful World” or something. I guess it’s really kind of magical that something so icy can warm people’s hearts so kindly. Ice cream has that funny effect on people. It’s almost like there’s an unwritten rule about what you can and cannot do while savoring it.

You cannot:

Have tireless arguments with your boyfriend

Fret, pout or flail your arms angrily
Talk politics, global warming, or world war

Brood over bills, debts or mortgages

Eat it because you have to


You can:

Gaze pensively into the sky and think of nothing

Count the freckles on your true love’s nose

Teach your kid funny tongue tricks

Tease your friend about the holes in her socks

Eat your ice-cream extra slowly so you can finish last


It's ice cream! Whatever you do with it, remember to keep it light!

No comments: